Timeless Piece: Jeans
In my journey to self-knowledge there are a lot of things that I haven’t figured out yet when it comes to the colors and cuts that look good on me, but one thing that I am sure of is that I LOVE DENIM and Denim loves me back :D, whether it is in a jacket, pants or shirt I just love this fabric. Especially in jeans as it is without a doubt a timeless and practical piece that we can wear in every season in the most varied ways. You can dress it up (ex: with a blazer and high heels) or dress it down (ex: with a t-shirt and sneakers).
Unfortunately, finding the right pair of jeans is a challenge because not every style will look good with our morphology (body type), so the best thing to do is try on different models to find the perfect pair.
There are some things to know when you are looking for jeans, and this is specially but not exclusively to curvy women like me:
- Make sure it fits your waist, hips and thighs well:
· Waist - can’t be too loose or to tight.
· Hips - if the fit is poor it will have horizontal lines and the pockets won’t sit straight this means that they are too tight.
· Thighs - the jeans need to be a bit loose and stretchy, otherwise, you will have trouble moving.
- If you can’t find a pair that fits simultaneously waist, hips and thighs go for one that fits your hips and thighs and have the waist taken in.
- Different countries make different fits, in Europe fits are based on lean bodies, which causes a problem for curvy women, I suggest to either take your pants to a seamstress or to find an online shop that sells jeans for your body type. (Ex: ASOS)
- Not all brands cater to tall and petite women as their sizes are not the standard. It is better to go to brands specialized in denim as they usually have more options.(ex: Levis)
You must be asking yourself why should I go to all of this trouble just to find a pair of jeans? The answer is very simple: a good pair of jeans will last you for years so when you find it you won’t need to think about that again for a long time and when you do need a new one you will know where to go and what to get, this will make the process a lot easier because you won’t have to try a hundred pairs every time you go shopping, you will know what looks good on you.
I had to go through this process and discovered that my favorite pair of jeans are the high waisted ones with a large leg, I just find that they go very well with my morphology. My favorite wash is Indigo blue which I think is perfect to wear in hot and cold seasons.
What about you? Have you found your perfect pair yet?